We're doing all our work inside the Vagrant virtual machine. We need to start and connect to Vagrant before doing the exercises. Here's a cheat sheet.
The /workspace folder is shared between your laptop and Vagrant - like Google Docs or DropBox.
When you save code in the editor, put it in this shared folder
We suggest opening Sublime Text to show your workspace directory. It will open up a side bar that shows all the folders and files you're making. It makes it easier to see what's happening and to edit files. In the File menu, select Open, then click on your workspace directory.
Optional Review: Learning Ruby
- Lecture Slides: Intro to Ruby
- The Ruby Language
- Tools to Help You Learn Ruby
Starting a New Rails Application
- Lecture Slides: Starting a Rails Application
- Creating a Rails Application
- Run Your Application on Your Machine
Models, Scaffolding, and Migrations
- Lecture Slides: Models Scaffolding Migrations
- Creating and Running a Database Migration
- CRUD with Scaffolding
Model Associations and 'MVC'
- Lecture Slides: Exploring Model View Controller
- Voting on Topics
- Hooking Up Votes and Topics
- Allow People to Vote
Rails Navigation, Links, and Routes
- Lecture Slides: Rails Navigation, Links, and Routes
- Setting the Default Page
- Redirect to the Topics List After Creating a New Topic
- Make the Topic Title a Link
- Clean Up Links on the Topics List
Vote on your favorite TV show!
BONUS TRACK: Deploying to the Web with Git and Heroku
- Create a Git Repository
- Create a Heroku site
- Configure a Database for Heroku
- Add the Project Files to the Git Repo
- Deploy to Heroku